Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Elvis Costello circa 1989



I have to admit, i was thrown back by this album at first listen. I was used to the ease & magic of Armed Forces and My Aim is True, and Spike just didn't seem as cohesive & enjoyable. But after multiple listens I can really appreciate the more challenging nature of this album. With every subsequent listen the hidden pop web of each song emerges louder & louder.  At times the vocals by Elvis Costello remind me of a neo-Bowie awkwardness; not exactly pleasant but still perfect.

The music vid for Veronica perfectly complements the awkward sounds & structures of the album with its own awkward cuts, unaligned synching, and dull, off-putting & intriguing visuals.  I've just decided i want this video played at my funeral.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Satanists

Find it!